If you are selling your product into a new market, it is likely that you will need to consider translating your product packaging. The packaging may be designed in desktop publishing software such as InDesign or Illustrator.
Here’s a look at Comtec’s ‘total package’ approach to translate your product packaging!
- Text included on your product packaging should always be clear and concise to ensure your key messages are not lost in translation. To avoid any potential hiccups, keep sentences short and sweet and avoid using any abbreviations, idioms and slang terms which may be difficult to translate.
- It is crucial to determine whether any text and imagery is culturally appropriate for your target market. You will need to check that all imagery is suitable and not offensive to buyers in your target market.
- Prior to translation, our Project Managers will liaise with you to gain a thorough understanding of your product and target audience. This ensures the correct style and tone is used and your key messages are put across.
- Make sure you finalise the content before translation begins as handling amends to translated text already inserted into the artwork files can be difficult and time consuming.
- If you are including multiple languages on one package, ensure that there is enough space for all the different languages by doing a mock-up. You will also need to allow for expansion of the text length when translated. For example, text translated from English to German can increase in size by up to 50 per cent.
- If you are targeting multiple markets, it may be cost-effective to include multiple languages on your labels, but ensure that all the required content is included for each individual market. You may also need a bi-lingual label as standard, as for example the Canadian market requires English and French – also be aware that there is significant different between Canadian and European French.
- Existing translated content will be gathered to compile a translation memory and glossary of key terms. Accessing stored content in translation memory created for you will ensure consistency between both your on-line and print material, the use of relevant specific terminology and faster delivery times!
- Please send us any additional reference material relating to your product that may provide additional context or information.
- Comtec can also complete all desktop publishing of packaging created in artwork files such as InDesign or Illustrator to retain the look of the original. Just remember to send us all the fonts and editable image files for translation so we can provide you with a fully art-worked file ready for print!
- A final review of the translated and art-worked packaging by a local market team or internal employee is always recommended and Comtec offers a number of solutions to help facilitate this. Click here to discover more about how we can handle the Review Process.
Providing high quality, fully translated packaging to promote your product can make a huge difference in growing business in new markets.
If you have any further questions regarding marketing and packaging translation, or would like a free translation quote, please contact a member of our customer services team on + 44 (0) 1926 335 681 or email email@example.com