Managing a brand across multiple channels and types of content involves many rounds of review. You might have multiple copywriters creating content. Or perhaps different marketing teams within your department manage various content types. From emails to presentation abstracts, digital ads to eBooks and whitepapers—content must be on brand, maintain a consistent voice, and be aligned with your target customer.
When a brand launches on a new global market, thought must be given to how marketing assets can be translated effectively and maintain a consistent tone of voice. Marketing translations may also involve large teams working on the localisation and transcreation of multi assets, and so processes must be in place to ensure a unified approach to translations and ensure consistency.
Like copywriters, translators must consider style, voice, tone and terminology when they translate content. They too need a detailed brief so they understand the brand positioning in the target market, and will also require certain tools and resources to do their best possible work.
Through our extensive experience in working on marketing translation and localisation projects, involving localisation of marketing content and transcreation, we know how important it is to establish a detailed understanding of the style and tone of voice to adopt in all content, together with any preferred terminology. This ensures consistency across web, print and audio marketing material.
7 steps for consistency in all marketing translations
The following steps provide an outline of how we approach marketing translations and ensure a consistent tone of voice. Whether you work with Comtec or another translation service provider, expect a similar level of detail and thoroughness.
- Localisation brief. We complete a localisation brief with the client to collate all relevant reference material, such as existing translations, marketing material and brand positioning statements. Webinars or face-to-face meetings with content authors and local market reviewers can be arranged to discuss any preferred terminology, company jargon or stylistic requirements.
- Hand pick expert translators. Based on the detailed localisation brief, we then hand pick expert and professional translators from our worldwide network, with the relevant knowledge and experience.
- Create a style guide. Using the information gathered in step 1, a style guide is prepared to brief the translation team.
- Sample translations. At the beginning of the project sample translations are provided for feedback on the style and tone. We want to make sure we get it right, right from the start.
- Glossary of terms. A comprehensive glossary of terms is established and provided for approval by reviewers so that all parties are able to work with with agreed terminology. This is essential when working with large teams of linguists.
- Review and approval. All translated content is provided in an easy to edit bilingual format for your local market colleagues to review and approve. Detailed guidelines along with our market feedback form are provided to the reviewers to assist in reviewing content. Feedback is crucial in ensuring that we are continually developing and improving our understanding of requirements and also incorporating any changes to the required style and terminology on an on-going basis.
- Feedback is acted on. All feedback we received is then reviewed and incorporated into our translation memories to be applied for the rest of the project and future projects. We will work with you to establish an effective process for handling and incorporating the feedback according to existing workflows.
By following these seven steps we ensure all parties involved in a complex marketing translation project are using the right tone of voice throughout. Future projects will benefit from this initial level of detail as the Glossary of Terms and Translation Memory can be used again and again to ensure consistency across all new marketing translations.
If you would like to learn more about marketing translations and how we get the best results for our clients, click here.